Coaches, let’s all make sure we all have a plan to manage lopsided games. For obvious reasons, we need to try to avoid significantly lopsided results (5+ goal difference). We’re teaching the kids sportsmanship, both on and off the field.
It is DSSC’s expectation that you ensure that the goal differential is no more than 5 goals in any game, as is clearly stated in BAYS guidelines. The best way to do this is to make a plan ahead of time. Here are some tips:
- Managing these situations is completely within the control of coaches. The key is to start as early in the game as possible.
- This presentation on BAYS describes useful strategies to manage lopsided game situations. The same material is also attached at the bottom of this page.
- Discuss this scenario with your players in practice BEFORE it happens in a game and develop a plan that your players understand and have practiced.
- Recognize the potential for a lopsided game early (e.g., if 2-0 after <10 minutes) and manage it immediately. Do not wait until it’s 5-0.
- Ensure your players understand that there are consequences for disobeying your instructions...and follow through when the situation warrants
- Have a sign or code word for when you want your players to implement lopsided score management technique and if anyone disobeys, consider removing them from the game and playing a man down as a result.
This is all to help instill the right behavior and the best sportsmanship possible for the kids.